International Current Student

Table of Contents

  1. Maintaining Status
  2. Online Classes
  3. Program Extensions
  4. Travel
  5. On Campus Employment
  6. Transfering


Maintaining Status

As an F1 student you were admitted to the U.S. for a certain period of time to complete your education.  This duration of time, or duration of status, can be found on your I-94 card and your I-20.  You are allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as you maintain your F1 status.

Somethings to keep in mind to maintain your Legal F-1 Status

  • Keep your passport valid
  • Always carry your I-94 with you
  • Request extension PRIOR to your current I-20 expiration date if you are not finished with your program (see below under Program Extensions)
  • Get a new I-20 for any change in major
  • Do NOT work off campus without prior authorization
  • Do not drop below 12 credit hours (must be in 9 credits face-to-face)
  • Always read your emails


Online Classes

International students may take online courses.  Students are required to be in a minimum of 9 credits hours face-to-face and 12 credit hours total. 

Here are some examples of authorized enrollments:

9 face-to-face credits
3 online credits

12 credits total

9 face-to-face credits
6 online credits

15 credits total

12 face-to-face credits
3 online credits

15 credits total

If a student must drop a course for any reason, they may encounter a violation if they drop a course that is being counted towards the face-to-face, or full-time requirements

**Due to COVID-19 current online regulations have been relaxed for students who have difficulties traveling to the U.S.  Please contact Sydnee Sassaman at or 620-276-9662 for more information**


Program Extensions

  • Extension Qualification

    • Must be in current F-1 legal status
    • The extension request must be completed prior to program end date
    • Must be enrolled and making progress towards degree
  • Accepted Extension Reasons

    • Change of major puts student behind of duration of status
    • Missed course rotation schedules
    • Illness (requires documentation by physician)
  • **Academic probation or suspension delays are not an acceptable reason**
  • How to request an extension

    • Have a valid passport
    • Request a letter from your academic advisor. Letter must include: anticipated date of degree completion, outline of courses needed to graduate, and reason for the delay
    • Updated financial support: personal bank statement, financial affidavit if needed


Any time you leave the country and re-enter, please visit the international office so your I-20 can be signed.  You I-20 needs to be signed every time you RE-ENTER the U.S.

When traveling please have the following items with you at all times:

  • Passport
  • I-94
  • I-20 (F-1 Visa)


On-Campus Employment

Students on an F-1 visa are eligible for on-campus employment.  The employment opportunities may NOT be FAFSA related.

Here are the steps for on-campus employment:

  1. Find a campus job and fill out application for position
  2. Once a job has been offered, visit the international office for information about getting a social security card
  3. Submit copy of social security card to the Payroll office

Social Security Checklist

The social security office is located in Dodge City, KS 1 hour east of Garden City

2204 Summerlon Cir.

Dodge City, KS 67801



Students wishing to transfer will need to work with the international advisor to get their SEVIS record transferred