Updated Eligibility Requirements and Additional Covered Program for Kansas Promise Scholarship at GCCC
[Garden City, KS] July 5, 2022 -- Updates have taken effect for the Kansas Promise Scholarship as of July 1, 2022, including updated eligibility requirements and an additional program, Fire Science, being covered through this scholarship at GCCC.
The Kansas Promise Scholarship was created by the Kansas Legislature to assist students attending Kansas community colleges and technical colleges enrolled in specified high wage, high demand, or critical need industry programs. This scholarship is a "last dollar scholarship" which applies after all federal aid, state aid, and other scholarships are subtracted from program related tuition, fees and books/supplies.
This scholarship may be used for up to a per student lifetime total of 68 credit hours or $20,000, whichever occurs first, in an eligible program (listed below). GCCC will determine eligibility for the Kansas Promise Scholarship and the amount of Promise Scholarship award based on the cost of the program chosen, information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and other financial aid a student may be receiving.
Beginning with Initial Applications* for the Fall 2022 Semester, to be eligible for the Kansas Promise Scholarship you must:
- -Be a United States citizen and Kansas resident; AND
- -Have a family household income of:
- -$100,000 or less for a family of two
- -$150,000 or less for a family of three
- -$150,000 + $4,800 per additional family member beyond three; AND
- -Have graduated from a Kansas public or private high school within the preceding 12 months or have received a GED or other high school equivalency credential within the preceding 12 months; OR
- -Have been a Kansas resident for the preceding three consecutive years; OR
- -Be a dependent child of a military servicemember who is stationed in another state and, within the preceding 12 months, have graduated from an out-of-state high school or obtained a GED or other high school equivalency credential; OR
- -Have been in the custody of the secretary of children and families at any time when enrolled in and attending any of the grades 9-12 AND NOT be eligible for assistance under the Kansas Foster Child Educational Assistance Act.
*Students who first applied for and entered a Promise Scholarship Agreement for Fall 2021, or Spring 2022 may be eligible to renew by submitting a new year Kansas Promise application at Promise Act Scholarship (kansasregents.org)
- -Complete the FAFSA.
- -Complete the Kansas Promise Scholarship Application.
- -Enter into an agreement to live AND work in Kansas for two years post certificate
or degree completion.
- -Students may delay the obligation if pursuing a bachelor's degree.
- -Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and complete program of study within 36 months of first receiving the Kansas Promise Scholarship.
Students can attend full- or part-time (at least 6 hours in the fall, spring, or summer semester) and complete a program of study within 36 months. Upon completion of the program, students must reside and work in Kansas for a minimum of two consecutive years or enroll in a Kansas institution of higher education and subsequently reside and work in Kansas for a minimum of two consecutive years.
Eligible Kansas Promise Programs at GCCC
Career and Technical Education Programs (AAS - Associate of Applied Science, AS - Associate of Science, C - Certificate)
Certified Medication Aide
Certified Nurse Aide
Computer Information Systems (AS, 2+2 FHSU)
Computer Support Specialist (C)
Criminal Justice/Police Science (C, AS, AAS)
Early Childhood Education (C)
Early Childhood Unified (AS, 2+2 FHSU)
Elementary Education (AS, 2 +2 FHSU, KSU)
Emergency Medical Technical Technology (AAS)
Emergency Medical Technician
Fire Science (C, AAS)
Home Health Aide
Industrial Machine Mechanic (C, AAS)
Licensed Practical Nursing (C)
Mathematics & Secondary Education (AS, 2+2 FHSU)
Pre-Health Occupations (AS)
Registered Nursing (AS, AAS)
Secondary Education (AS, 2+2 FHSU)
Social Work (AS, 2+2 FHSU, KSU)
Technology Leadership (AS, 2+2 FHSU)
Welding Technology (C, AAS)
Additional details on the Kansas Promise Scholarship are available on the KBOR website: https://www.kansasregents.org/students/student_financial_aid/promise-act-scholarship.
New and renewal applications for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 are available at https://sfa.kansasregents.org/login.jsp.
For questions, please contact GCCC Admissions at email@example.com or call 620-276-9608.
Garden City Community College exists to produce positive contributors to the economic and social well-being of society.
No News to Display at this time.
No News to Display at this time.