Kansas Promise Scholarship
The $10 million program was passed by the Kansas Legislature and Governor Laura Kelly on April 23, 2021. Select GCCC programs are available at no cost to eligible students beginning Fall 2021. When other scholarships and grants are not sufficient enough to cover your tuition, books, fees, and required course materials - the Kansas Promise Act will make up the difference. Recipients must meet qualifications and follow the application process to be eligible.
Who is eligible?
Any Kansas resident who is taking 6 credit hours or more, who meets income requirements and:
- has graduated from a Kansas High School or obtained GED within the last 12 months
- is 21 years of age or older and has been a Kansas resident for at least 3 consecutive years
- is a dependent of a military service member who is permanently stationed in another state and who graduated from an out-of-state high school, obtained a GED or high school equivalency within in the last 12 months.
Which programs are eligible?
- Computer Support Specialist
- AS in Computer Science
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Emergency Medical Services Technology
- Home Health Aide
- Certified Medication Aide
- Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse Training
- Nursing Aide
- AS in Pre-Health Occupations
- AS in Social Work
- Industrial Machine Mechanic
- Welding Technology
- AS in Pre-Engineering
- Technology Leadership
- Early Childhood
- AS in Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Unified
- AS in Mathematics and Secondary Education
- Criminal Justice/Police Science
Requirements for Kansas Promise Scholarship Act Recipients:
- Enroll in and successfully complete the select program of study (minimum of 6 credit hours/semester)
- Complete the program within 30 months of first being awarded AND
- Sign the Kansas Promise Service Scholarship Agreement to live and work in Kansas for a minimum of two consecutive years following completion of your program.
- o Failure to do so will result in repayment of full scholarship amount plus interest. The interest rate is the current rate of the PLUS loan at the time you are awarded the scholarship. The PLUS rate is 6.284% beginning July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2022.
- If your program of study continues beyond one year, you may complete the Kansas Promise Service Scholarship Renewal Application to continue to be eligible for funding.
To apply for the Kansas Promise Scholarship Act you must:
- Visit Kansas Association of Community College Trustees page here
- Apply to GCCC
- Complete the FREE Federal Student Aid application (This is required even if you don't qualify for or take any additional loans.)
- Complete the Kansas Promise Scholarship Application
- Enroll in one of the select programs above with your academic advisor.
- Sign the Kansas Promise Scholarship Act service agreement and acceptance form.
Please fill out the request form below or contact Melinda Harrington at 620-276-9519 or email@example.com.