Mission Statement: Garden City Community College exists to produce positive contributors to the economic and social well-being of society.

Student Types

Out-of-State Students

Residency Defined

Out-of-state and foreign residence: Persons enrolling in a community college who, if adults, have not been or if minors, whose parents have not been domiciliary residents of the State of Kansas for six months prior to enrollment for any enrollment term or session are not residents of Kansas and will be charged out-of-state tuition. Residence of minors shall be determined as provided in K.S.A. 72-1046 and acts amendatory thereof and of adults as provided in subpart Twenty-three of K.S.A. 66-201 and acts amendatory thereof.

The Kansas Board of Regents may adopt rules and regulations governing the determination of residence of students for student tuition and out-of-state and foreign student tuition purposes. (L. 1972. ch. 271. Sec.1; April 11.)

Students who have not resided in Kansas for six months prior to the first day of the semester (or the summer session) are determined to be non-resident students and must pay out-of-state tuition rates. The six-month requirement may be waived, upon appeal to the Registrar, if the student (or parent of a dependent student) was transferred or recruited by a Kansas company as a full-time employee to work in the state and he/she has established a residence in Kansas. A letter of verification from the company is required.

After a student has continuously resided in Kansas for six months, he/she may petition for in-state residency status by securing and completing an Affidavit of Residency form from the Registrar prior to the first day of the semester or the summer session. A student can be a resident of only one state. If a student leaves the state and claims residency in another state, he/she forfeits Kansas residency regardless of the time spent out of the state.

The responsibility of enrolling under proper residence classification for tuition purposes is that of the student. If there is any question of residency classification, as regulated by the Kansas Board of Education, the student must raise the question to the Registrar prior to the first day of classes of any given semester. If a student enrolls incorrectly as a resident of Kansas, and it is determined at a later date that the student was a non-resident for tuition purposes, payment of non-resident tuition will be required for all terms during which the student was incorrectly registered.

A student who is classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes when enrolling and who disagrees with that classification shall be entitled to an appeal, provided that a written appeal is filed with the Registrar within 30 days from the date of the enrollment. A student who is classified as a resident for tuition purposes at the time of enrollment and who subsequently is reclassified as a non-resident for such purposes and who disagrees with that reclassification may make an appeal provided that a written appeal is filed with the Registrar within 30 days of notification of reclassification. The payment in full of tuition as originally assessed shall be a condition to the right to appeal from residency classification or reclassification. If a student fails to file an appeal in the allocated time and manner stated above, the classification or reclassification determined by the Registrar shall, upon expiration of the appeal period, become final.