Student Types

International Students

Garden City Community College is a two-year community college located in Garden City, Kansas. GCCC encourages enrollment of qualified international students as a means of enriching the campus environment. International students who wish to attend must follow procedures outlined in this section in order to meet admission requirements. GCCC is authorized under Federal Law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.

International students are advised that the college does not provide special language training and employment opportunities are limited. International students must also obtain a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 500 paper/61 ibt for admission to GCCC.

The time needed to complete the admissions process varies from country to country due to embassy policies and mailing times. Therefore, GCCC requires that a completed Application for Admission, International Student Application Fee of $150 (non-refundable), and all required documents be submitted by the dates listed below. Documents, other than the Official TOEFL score report and Course-by-Course Transcript Evaluation, may be initially submitted electronically to the Associate Director of Enrollment Management/International Advisor Shajia Ahmad at Original documents may need to be hand-carried to the United States once the approved international student arrives on-campus to start a program-of-study.

  • Fall Semester (August): July 1
  • Spring Semester (January): November 1

Before acceptance is granted and a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) issued, the following items must be approved by the Director of Admissions/International Student Advisor and on file in the GCCC Admissions Office:

  1. Proof of English Proficiency - An official score report showing that the “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (TOEFL) has been completed within the 18 months immediately preceding application to GCCC with a minimum score of 500 (paper-based) or 61 (internet-based, ibt). Students whose country’s official language is English may not be required to complete the TOEFL, however, may be required to submit to a video interview with the Director of Admissions/International Student Advisor to verify English language proficiency.

  2. Proof of High School Graduation - GCCC requires proof of graduation from an accredited high school or the equivalent, or a transcript of credit from another accredited institution of secondary level or above. GCCC also requires official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. All foreign academic documentation must be evaluated by a transcript evaluation service. Below are links to companies that provide Course-By-Course Transcript Evaluations with U.S. equivalencies, institutional accreditation status and date of graduation. There will be a fee charged by the evaluation company for this service.

    In most cases, students from Canada may waive the evaluation of the high school transcript and have the high school transcript mailed directly from the Ministry of Education to Garden City Community College, Attention: Admissions, 801 Campus Dr, Garden City, KS 67846-6333. Qualifying students should seek final approval for this option from the Director of Admissions/International Student Advisor.

  3. Proof of Ability to Meet Financial Obligations:

    Applicants must document ability to meet full-year expenses through a combination of bank statements and/or approved notarized statements of support. All financial documents must be produced in English, sent within 30 days of origination and submitted within 6 months of the student’s arrival date. Estimated expenses are as follows:

    • International Tuition—32 credit hours (2 semesters) @ $92.00/credit hour
    • Fees—32 credit hours (2 semesters) @ $30.00/credit hour
    • Books—Full year – 2 semesters (approximate)
    • Room & Board—West Hall or East Units/19 meals (2 semesters)
    • Travel/Miscellaneous Supplies
    • Total Cost
    • $3,008
    • $992
    • $1,100
    • $5,250
    • $1,500
    • $11,850
  4. Proof of International Student Insurance with Repatriation Clause: International Students must purchase International Student Insurance coverage annually. The policy must include a Repatriation/Return of Moral Remains Clause. It is the student’s responsibility to research and purchase a plan that suits his or her individual needs and meets the requirements. Approval of the policy will be determined by Director of Admissions/International Student Advisor.
  5. Housing Arrangements: Housing arrangements must be secured in order for the Form I-20 to be produced. Therefore, students interested in living on-campus must complete the appropriate Residential Life Contract/Documents and pay the required Residential Life Deposit in order to reserve on-campus housing. Students interested in living off-campus with a host family must have the Head-of-Household complete a Host Family Agreement form. International Student Athletes must pay fair-market value in rent to the host family. Please be advised that GCCC does not have a host-family placement service.
  6. Personal Health History and Immunization Record: Applicants must complete the GCCC Health and Immunization Record and work with the GCCC Health Nurse to ensure that all health requirements are complete and current.
  7. Before applying for an F-1 visa at the US Embassy, an I-901 application must be completed and the $200 fee must be paid. Information regarding this governmental policy can be found at the following web address:

* A properly executed I-20 form will be issued by the college and mailed to the international student in his/her home country upon completion of the above. The I-20, signed by a college official, is required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for the student to enter the United States. Students who leave the U.S. for holidays must have their I-20 forms properly endorsed by a college official before they leave the U.S. in order to assure their re-entry into the country to attend GCCC.